LAC Group provides experienced, archival-standard inspection and repair services for all film gauges, from 8mm to 70mm (IMAX), and film stock including nitrate and acetate (safety) film. Our expert services are available even if you do not store film within our vaults.
Initial inspection includes careful assessment and recording of physical deterioration like shrinkage, vinegar syndrome, water damage, buckling, damaged splices and torn perforations. All cleaning and repair work is done with meticulous, white-glove handling performed by skilled film technicians.
We follow standards and recommendations set forth by the U.S. National Archives, the Society of American Archivists, the Association of Moving Image Archivists and other leading film preservation organizations.
LAC Group film inspection, cleaning and repair services
- Careful assessment of physical condition, noting all signs of deterioration like shrinkage, vinegar syndrome, water damage, buckling, damaged splices and torn perforations.
- Work performed in environmentally-controlled clean room following ISO / IEST standards for HEPA-filtered recirculating air, particulate-minimizing construction and stringent clean workstations.
- Skilled technicians wear nitrile gloves to minimize abrasion and all equipment is clean and maintained.
- Inspection reports specially formatted for comprehensive data capture such as film dates, emulsion types, total footage, aspect ratio and physical condition.
- Physical integrity of the film ensured before digital scanning.
- All items are re-housed using archival-grade cores, reels, canisters and sleeves.
Perhaps the most interesting and unique value we offer to nitrate film collection and archive owners is our roots in Eastman Kodak, one of the world’s leading film manufacturers. Eastman Kodak created PRO-TEK Vaults in 1993 for inspection, preservation and archival storage of high-value moving image and still photography content, including restoration of the iconic movie “The Godfather” and preservation of historical Olympic Games footage for the International Olympic Committee.
And remember, our film inspection, cleaning and repair services and expertise are available even if you do not store film within our vaults.