Utility costs—electricity, gas, heating oil, water and increasingly phone and internet service—are among the most critical, yet volatile, of indirect spend categories. Businesses in healthcare, manufacturing, distribution and other sectors that have multiple, widespread facilities with challenging operational demands are especially sensitive to energy and other utility market fluctuations.
Regulations constrain business energy options
Limited suppliers and a patchwork of federal, state and local government rules and practices add to the spend management complexity of utility costs. While deregulation has been advancing across the United States, with Texas going the furthest at about 85% of the state, energy remains regulated to some degree in all 50 states.
States with partially-deregulated gas and/or electricity markets
- New Jersey
- New York
States with fully-regulated gas and electricity markets
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
How companies can save on energy costs
Unless all your expenses are in Texas, your regulatory environment may constrain your ability to reduce energy costs through competitive bidding. Yet other tactics and strategies are available, no matter where you operate. The spend management consultants at LAC Group are available to explore and assess all your options, including the following:
- Audit and benchmarking of energy consumption patterns across all locations.
- Assessment of current rate structures and terms across all locations.
- Energy-saving strategies to reduce overall heating, cooling and lighting expenses and identify thrifty “green” tactics and initiatives.
- Collaboration with plant and facility managers for ways to consolidate and share ideas and best practices for energy savings.
We only get paid when you save
Our contingency-based pricing means our services pay for themselves. We only engage with clients when the savings potential is great enough to increase your bottom line with a small portion to pay our fees.
The holistic, managed services approach of LAC Group
- Every client engagement begins with an assessment of your operational and financial concerns, goals and objectives.
- We work with the staff and systems you have in place.
- Our programs and services are structured on a spectrum that ranges from “help us manage” to “manage for us” based on your needs and circumstances.
Can we help you control your utility costs?
Assessing utilization patterns, identifying available options to help you choose the right one, assuring invoice accuracy and other key performance indicators—these are a few of the ways we can help you reduce your overall energy costs, even if you operate in highly-regulated locations. Let us know your operational and financial concerns and we’ll let you know how we can help you manage and reduce your company’s expenses for energy and other utilities.